Swans on the River Brue

Basin Bascule Bridge

       
Bridge Name:   Basin Bascule Bridge
No.:   2
Location:  
Build Date:   Original 1841. Present 1907
Engineer:   Thomas Maddicks - Mr.Grise supervised its installation
     
       
Description:    

Technically called a double leaf bascule bridge and worked on the same principal as Tower Bridge in London but was manually operated. In 1981 the bridge was removed for refurbishment by Adams and Butterly of Derby. It was returned to the site in 1983.1

A mild steel double leaf bascule bridge originally constructed of cast iron. Overhauled in 1983 to include electrical operation.2

The bridge was removed and rebuilt off site in 1983, a temporary bridge installed during the rebuild - cost 200000.3

References:   1. Bridgwater Docks and the River Parrett by Brian Murless
2. Civil Engineering Heritage by R.A.Potter
3. Caring for Our Built Heritage: Conservation in Practice By Tony Haskell


Print this | Send this | Hits: 3455 | | Return to Bridge List | << Tidal Basin Lock Bridge | Newtown Lock Bridge >>