Swans on the River Brue

River Tone Aqueduct

       
Bridge Name:   River Tone Aqueduct
No.:   29
Location:   Near Nynehead
Build Date:   1832
Engineer:   James Green
     
       
Description:    

Aqueduct formerly carrying the Grand Western Canal over the River Tone, now disused. Circa 1828. By James Green. Squared and coursed sandstone, dressed voussoirs, cast iron centring with cast iron trough. Very flat single arch span, continuous string course with little of parapet above remaining, walls swept back on either side to piers obscured by ivy at time of survey (January 1985), southeastern pier missing. (Harris, Grand Western Canal, 1973). 1

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 270996. First Listed on 07/08/1986. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1060354

Aqueduct carrying the Grand Western Canal (PRN 44126) over the River Tone The stone work of the wide, graceful arch of this slender 30ft span structure is in good condition and, although the parapet is crumbling, it can still be crossed, when the iron trough which contained the water will be seen.

The aqueduct is skewed to avoid scour of the abutments and wing walls. The skewed horizontal iron waterway trough spans a little over 9m between the abutments and was made in the form of a flat arch in three sections with splayed joints similar to stone voussoirs. It is restrained in a longitudinal direction by inclined iron brackets at the junction of the three sections of the trough. The brackets protrude into the masonry at each side.2

     
References:   1. Somerset HER No.40947
2. Somerset HER no.44140


Print this | Send this | Hits: 2604 | | Return to Bridge List | Prev [<< Nynehead House Aqueduct] | Next [Trefusis Bridge >>]